injection problems solved

Morris Maduro Morris_maduro at biology.ualberta.ca
Sun Nov 6 05:49:43 EST 1994

Hi fellow worm breeders,

I had previously posted a cry for help regarding "injection problems."  I
received about a dozen replies by e-mail.  Aside from my rol-6 recovery
being lower than optimal in controls (by about tenfold), the overwhelming
consensus on my injection problems was that the DNA had to be clean. Some
reported they had never obtained transformants from RNase-treated DNA (even
after phenol), and some claimed multiple extractions was the answer.  I
repeated my mini-prep, avoiding RNase and doubling the organic extractions
(2xphenol, 2xphe:chlor, 2xchlor). After a set of injections on Hallowe'en I
got 40 F1 rollers.

Many thanks to those who sent me suggestions!

Morris M.

--
Morris Maduro                | 'Worms Rule'
Dept of Biological Sciences  |    'OK'
Edmonton, AB Canada          | Morris_maduro at biology.ualberta.ca