MacX for AceDB

Mike Cherry cherry at stout.Stanford.EDU
Sat Oct 22 11:36:08 EST 1994

In article <anderson-211094132846 at 128.252.181.14>,
Eric C. Anderson <anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu> wrote:
>sorry to bug you all again, but now that Dave Baillie has been so kind as
>to offer me access to his full bore AceDB server (unlike al the folks here
>at Wash U.) i'm now having trouble interfacing.  i have figured out how to
>get there and get it up and running from a Sparc Station but unfortunately,
>i have very limited access to that machine.  i have MacX 1.2 set up on a
>Quadra 840AV however and i would like to use that since it's the computer
>at my desk.  i'm having a really hard time setting it up though.
>
>if there is anyone out there with experience in accessing AceDB using MacX,
>i would certainly appreciate hearing from you and getting your suggestions
>and advice.
>
>thanks in advance,
>eric

I assume you have an account on the SPARC and that you can login.  If
so then the easiest way to troubleshoot the problem is to start MacX
on your Quarda and use Telnet, for example NCSA Telnet, to connect
with the SPARC.  Once you are logged in on the SPARC type the
following commands, note that you will need to modify the specifics as
indicated below for them to work.

setenv DISPLAY XXXX:0   <----   Replace XXXX with the IP address or hostname
                                of your Quadra, the :0 is required

setenv ACEDB /blah/blah <----   Replace /blah/blah with the path to the
                                ACEDB directory on the SPARC

/blah/blah/xace         <----   Replace /blah/blah as above

If MacX is running on your Quadra in a minute or two after typing the
three comands above you should see the ACEDB windows appear on your
Quadra, or see an error message in the telnet window as to why it is
not working.  Those three commands are true for any X-windows emulator
for DOS, Windows, or Macintosh.

Once you have ACEDB running in this manner you can add the commands to
a script file so you do not have to type them everytime, and you can
add them into a Remote Command in MacX.  The Remote Command will
eliminate the need to use telnet as above.  You simply add the
commands that worked above in the "Remote Command:" field in the "Edit
Remote Command" window and separate them with a semi-colon, not a
carriage-return.  Remember to set the host by clicking on the
"Host..."  button.  For display type I normally use: "Color Rootless".
You can also click "Execute at Startup" so MacX will start ACEDB with
that document is opened.

MacX connects to the SPARC in a different manner than telnet so new
problems can appear depending on how the SPARC is setup.  In
particular you may need to include one of all of the following:

 set path ( $path /usr/openwin/bin/xview /usr/openwin/bin /usr/openwin/demo )
 setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/lib
 setenv OPENWINHOME /usr/openwin

For the Arabidopsis database, AAtDB, I setup an account with a script
that does all the work and figures out the remote IP address.  You
then simply connect to the correct host with the correct username and
ACEDB appears.  Anyone wanting to setup a server can contact me if you
are interested in the scripts, they require tcsh and work on Ultrix
and probably SunOS.

Mike Cherry