Artificial Insemination

Ward Lab Ward_Lab at
Tue Oct 25 17:50:54 EST 1994

In Article <199410181946.AA21579 at>,
yuan at PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU ("Jeffrey Yuan") wrote:
>I have been told that it is possible to do artificial insemination of
>hermaphrodites with sperm from males that do not mate.  However, what I have
>heard is 3rd hand experience.  Has anyone done this procedure?  If so, I would
>be interested in finding out how.  Thanks in advance!
>Jeffrey Yuan
>*  Jeffrey Yuan                                                          *
>*  Department of Molecular Biology                                       *
>*  Lewis Thomas Laboratory                                               *
>*  Princeton University                FAX: 609-258-3980                 *
>*  Washington Road                   Phone: 609-258-5939                 *
>*  Princeton, NJ  08544              email: yuan at   *
>Yes, it is possible.  Craig LaMunyon, a post-doc in the Ward Lab has developed
this technique.  Look for it (probably) in the November issue of Genetics:
"Assessing the Viability of Mutant and Manipulated Sperm by Artificial
Insemination of Caenorhabditis elegans"  by Craig W. LaMunyon and Samuel
Ward.  If you need any further (or quicker) information, you can reach Craig
at the phone number or email address below.
    Paul J. Muhlrad
    Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology
    University of Arizona
    415 Life Sciences South
    Tucson, AZ  85721
    tel (602)621-9135