CELEGANS/bionet.celegans FAQ

William R. Morgan wmorgan at ACS.WOOSTER.EDU
Fri Sep 16 16:06:39 EST 1994

        CELEGANS/bionet.celegans Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

(last revised by William Morgan (wmorgan at acs.wooster.edu) on 15 September 1994)

This document supplements the CELEGANS/bionet.celegans Charter and answers
some common questions of interest to C. elegans researchers. Both documents
are available for anonymous FTP and gopher retrieval (port 70) from
net.bio.net [134.172.2.69].

The FAQ is posted the 15th of each month to the CELEGANS/bionet.celegans
newsgroup.

If you would like to add other questions to this list, please send them to
wmorgan at acs.wooster.edu.  I would also appreciate your sending the *answer*
to the question if possible. All contributions will be gratefully
acknowledged by including the author's name along with the answer provided.

CONTENTS:

1.  Where can I find a list of recent research articles on C. elegans?

2.  What ever happened to the Worm Community System (WCS)?

3.  Where can I get help with the Worm Community System (WCS)?

4.  How can I get the latest version of ACEDB?

5.  Are there any Gopher or World Wide Web (WWW) sites of particular
interest to C. elegans researchers?

6.  Where can I find more information about the BIOSCI/bionet newsgroups?

1.  Where can I find a list of recent research articles on C. elegans?
The Caenorhabditis Genetics Center (CGC) maintains a complete bibliography
of C. elegans research articles, which is available by Gopher at
elegans.cgs.umn.edu (port 70).

According to Bob Herman, the CGC director,.

we update the CGC bibliography on our gopher about once a month.  A few
months back we started a new entry, called "Additions to CGC Bibliography
Since Last WBG Listing".  This is a small enough file that it doesn't need
to be searched.  It also omits abstracts, which many of the references in
the cumulative bibliography contain.

----2.  What ever happened to the Worm Community System (WCS)?
Curt Jamison, Community Systems Laboratory, University of Illinois,
Urbana-Champaign (jamison at csl.ncsa.uiuc.edu) writes:

WCS is alive and well and living at NCSA, U of I. We have released a new
version, WCSr2 which contains all the functionality of the original, as
well as some new functions. We are in the midst of fully updating all
the data and should be done by mid-August (We are using version 1.10
data from ACeDB right now. The final version of WCSr2 will contain
version 2.10 data).

WCS still provides access to literature, including abstracts from most
the CGC bibliography, full text from the gazette, and meeting abstracts.
The data includes genomic data from the MRC/WUSTL sequencing project,
community data from the CGC about people and strains, and the beginnings
of a cellular database including cell lineage. New tools include a
thesaurus to aid in searching, and the ability to generate new links and
add new data (with any level of security protection) which should aid
long-distance collaborations.

Requirements:
The new release of WCS requires an Internet connection from a Sun
workstation to access the the CSL server. This is because all the data,
search engines, thesaurus, etc reside here at UIUC (saving you lots
of storage at a minor speed cost). We suggest using a SparcStation 5,
SparcStation LX, SparcStation 10 or 20 (in that order). Much slower, but
still possible are SparcStation 2, 1+, or IPX. Whichever machine, you
need at least 32 Mb RAM and SunOS 4.1.x or Solaris 2.3 with the SunOS
4.*.* binary compatability package.

The local (front-end) software requires am X-windows environment and
about six Mb hard drive space (at present). We use both X11R5 and
OpenWindows with much success.

You can run a Macintosh node from the local Sun workstation, providing
you have an Ethernet connection between the workstation and the node.
Your Mac should have a minimum of 8 Mb RAM and should be in the 68040
family in order to run an X emulator. We use MacX for our Mac nodes.
Also, the monitor should have 1024x768 resolution, although the Apple
16" monitor (800x600) has been deemed as tolerable.

Where to get it:
The front-end to run WCS is available by anonymous ftp from
csl.ncsa.uiuc.edu (141.142.221.11). Installation instructions and
configuration info is also available there in the README files. The
user's manual is also available, in Word 5.0 for Mac and Postscript
formats, as well as plain ASCII text.

WCS is a constantly evolving system, and we like to have feedback from
the community. If you have questions, requests, or even complaints, we'd
like to hear them. Send us a note at wcs at csl.ncsa.uiuc.edu

----3.  Where can I get help with the Worm Community System (WCS)?
Laura Shoman, User Support Coordinator, Worm Community System, Community
Systems Laboratory, Graduate School of Library & Info Science, University
of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (shoman at csl.ncsa.uiuc.edu ) writes:

WCS has accompanying documentation -- a users' manual, and some README*
files that describe the system and setup, and address some of the problems
that have been reported to date.  These documents are available from the
anonymous  ftp site, csl.ncsa.uiuc.edu.

In addition, I'm the user support person -- the Help Desk, if you will, for
users.  The system in release 2.0 has been installed at a dozen or more
sites around the country.

If you're having problems running WCSr2, or setting it up, or if you'd
like to gripe about it, please give me a call or drop me e-mail.