briggsae X elegans

David L. Baillie dbaillie at darwin.mbb.sfu.ca
Fri Sep 16 10:50:43 EST 1994

leon at EATWORMS.SWMED.EDU ("Leon Avery") writes:

>Does anyone know what happens if you cross briggsae males with elegans
>hermaphrodites or vice versa?  Do they ignore each other?  Do they
>produce progeny?  I would like to get briggsae mutants and do
>complementation tests with elegans.

>--
>Leon Avery					   (214) 648-2420 (office)
>Department of Biochemistry			            -2768 (lab)
>University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center             -8856 (fax)
>5323 Harry Hines Blvd				   leon at eatworms.swmed.edu
>Dallas, TX  75235-9038

It just occured to me, does everyone use the same strain of C. briggsae?
We (Snutch and I) made our Ch4 genomic library using the g16 strain, that
was isolated by Andros  Fodor back in the early 1980's.  I think he got it
from northern India.  It is one of atleat two in the stock center.  I guess
it would be good if people indicated the source of the DNA, library etc
when they publish the C. briggae sequence, or place in genbank or EMBL.  It
could turn out to be important later on.  Our few C. briggsae mutants are
also in the same g16 background.

dave baillie
IMBB, SFU,
Burnaby, BC, Canada

ps maybe we should also get together a list of C. briggsae libraries that
	are available, I think there are several judging by the genbank
	entries.