wanted: neuronal promoters

Morris Maduro Morris_maduro at biology.ualberta.ca
Sat Apr 8 08:46:49 EST 1995

Hello fellow worm breeders,

Unc-119 seems to be expressed and required in a number of different types
of neurons.  I am interested in fusing promoters that enable expression in
subsets of neurons to the unc-119 cDNA, to see if such constructs can
rescue parts of the phenotype of unc-119 mutants.  These animals show
primarily a motility defect, but also retain eggs and pump their pharynxes
constitutively. I have not looked for other defects such as defecation or
mechanosensory.  Expression of reporter gene fusions shows that unc-119
comes on as early as 100 cells and continues for the rest of the lifespan.

Does anyone have any useful daf, mec, unc, egl, etc. promoters that would
be easy to hook up to the unc-119 cDNA?

Thanks in advance,

Morris

--