Analysis of ESTs

richard harrop rh9 at unix.york.ac.uk
Thu Apr 13 12:41:01 EST 1995

Could anybody out there with experience of sequence analysis please lend a hand!
I have recently become involved in the Schistosoma mansoni genome project and am
using the technique of differential display to identify stage-specifically
expressed gene products. I am producing quite a large number of sequences and
performing several searches - BlastN, FASTA, TFASTA and BlastX. I realise that it is difficult to give a
hard and fast figure to be able to say that you have identified a gene, but
do people have a rule of thumb for any of these searches by which they believe they may have identifies a gene?
For BlastX for example, does a P value of <0.05 identify a gene??
	Any comments would be greatly received.
		Many thanks,
		  Richard Harrop
Email: rh9 at unix.york.ac.uk