transgenics

Terese Rakow rakow at SCRIPPS.EDU
Fri Apr 14 16:22:04 EST 1995

Hi.

I have a question concering transgenic nematodes.  I am still trying to get
the hang of injecting, but have had some success.  I am injecting a b-gal
reporter  gene with rol-6D but on separate plasmids.  I have been getting
two kinds of transformants.  I call them the head lifters and the tail
chasers.  The head lifters are worms that flip their heads while moving and
have been mentioned in the net before.  The tail chasers are the "real"
rollers that have a very distinct roller phenotype.  My question/problem is
that the head lifters do not seem to stain with X-GAL, but the tail chasers
do, whether they come from the same injected adult or not.   I have left
the head lifters in staining solution up to four days, long after the
corresponding tail chasers have shown good staining.  Has anyone else
experienced this?  Is it due to the level of gene expression (would a
highly expressed gene show staining with head lifters)?  I'd appreciate any
comments or ideas.  Thanks!

Teree Rakow