Transformation by a particle gun

Yasumi Ohshima yohshscb at MBOX.NC.KYUSHU-U.AC.JP
Fri Aug 18 00:11:39 EST 1995

        We have just begun traials on C. elegans transformation by using
Bio-Rad Particle Delivery System PDS-1000/He. If anyone has an experience
with the same or a similar machine, we would gratly appreciate informations
such as material (gold or tungsten) and size of particles, kind of rupture
disc (450psi-2200psi), vacuum of the chamber, position of the worms to be
shot, number and state of worms, method of binding DNA to particles, and
the results of transfomation.

          We are testing rol-6d DNA, N2 recipient, 1 micron gold particles,
CaCl2 and spermidine to bind DNA to particles, 650, 1100, 1550 and 2000 psi
rupture disks, several hundred to a few thousand worms (containing many
adults) on an agar plate placed at the lowest level and vacuum indicator at
28.

Yasumi Ohshima
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Kyushu University
Hakozaki, Fukuoka 812-81, Japan
FAX : 81-92-632-2741