solicitations vs. salutations

Michael Hengartner hengartn at CSHL.ORG
Tue Dec 19 11:23:31 EST 1995

>>  Isn't there any way to screen solicitations to our net?
>The administrators of bionet just extended an offer to any of the lists to
>send software that makes this possible.
>I subscribe to another list that "cured spam" by restricting postings to
>the list to subscribers only.  Some objected at first to "closing" the
>list in this way for fear of limiting access to newcomers, but that
>seemed to not be a problem.

I strongly feel that restricting postings to subscribers would be
inappropriate.  The better alternative would be to have the newsgroup
moderated, a suggestion that had originally been made by Leon, but which at
the time received mixed reviews and therefore got canned.  Maybe it's time
to reconsider that option.

Michael O. Hengartner, Ph.D.

Senior Staff Investigator               TEL: (516) 367-8363
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory           LAB: (516) 367-8385
1 Bungtown Road                         FAX: (516) 367-8461
Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA       Email: mir at