transgenic arrays

Dave Pilgrim dave_pilgrim at biology.ualberta.ca
Mon Feb 6 10:14:30 EST 1995

In article <9502040324.AA16563 at genekit.medgen.ubc.ca>,
msrayko at GENEKIT.MEDGEN.UBC.CA ("Martin A. Srayko") wrote:
> When I cross certain transgenic hermaphrodites to males, I sometimes get an excess
> of male F1s that carry the array (i.e., male F1s Rol, most hermaphrodites of the
> same age do not Rol).  I don't think this is specific for the construct used
> because very similar and even identical constructs behave differently with respect
> to the proportion of males:hermaphrodite Rollers.

I've seen the same thing with a him-8 strain carrying with an array, where
there is often an excess of males which roll. I haven't quantitated it. Of
course, in lines which transmit poorly, and I have to look hard to see a
rolling hermaphrodite, maybe it just seems that way.
--
Dave Pilgrim
Dept. of Biological Sciences