cleaning up slime

Patrick Weix weix at
Mon Jan 16 13:19:44 EST 1995

leon at EATWORMS.SWMED.EDU ("Leon Avery") writes:
>contaminant, and then you have to clean it up by repeated transfers or
>bleach.  The nystatin does a good job on yeast contaminants, I think
>(at least I used to see lots of these before I used it, and none
>after), but is almost completely useless on molds.  They're our main
>problem.  We deal with it mostly by discarding (gently) or parafilming
>plates that become moldy, so the spores don't get released into the

Dear Worm Community:

This is a trick from yeast research that may/may not be helpful and I
only know it because I edit the yeast faq for the homebrewing archives:

 If you find *mold* (not wild yeast) contamination to be a
persistent problem, Pierre Jelenc <rcpj at suggests:

"From 0.5 to 1% sodium propionate in the medium will suppress
practically all molds, without affecting the growth or viability of
yeasts.  The propionate can be either added before autoclaving, in
which case the medium will turn cloudy, or as a sterile solution just
before pouring the plates, in which case the medium will stay clear.
There is no growth difference in either case.  While not
reinheitgebotmaessig, propionate is FDA-approved to prevent molds on

It may be toxic to worms! Still, has anyone used this ...?

  "The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away."
 					Tom Waits
 | Patrick Weix                        weix at        |
 | UT Southwestern Medical Center      weix at    |
 | 5323 Harry Hines Blvd               tel: (214) 648-5050    |
 | Dallas, TX 75235                    fax: (214) 648-5453    |