Garth I. Patterson patterson at
Fri Mar 24 06:41:48 EST 1995

I received a number of replies by e-mail regarding the scheduling of the
meeting, and they are shown below.

Subj:   meetings

the fly community meets every year- rotating between venues in the
east, west and midwest-- there is an independent european meeting
but many europeans are forced to attend both USA and european meetings.
i think it's time for a large worm meeting every year.

From: "Dr. David Hall" <hall at>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 95 13:54:06 EST
To: patterson at
Subject: Re: International meeting

A couple of arguments in favor of the smaller regional meetings in the off
1. they are shorter & closer to home; easier to fit into one's schedule
2. more intimate; easier to meet the attendees & find time to talk

Being so widely spaced, the current international meetings are very highly
attended by both senior & junior people; you are likely to find almost
every lab represented.  If you switch to an annual basis, this level of
attendance would drop off, and even senior investigators might not see each
every two years anymore...
David Hall
Dept Neuroscience

One of the arguments for having the meeting only on alternate years is that
many people won't attend every year, and some might stop going all togehter.
The feeling was that you were going to get the most people per meeting if it
was held on alternate years.  Also, the International meeting is now getting
so big that only a small fraction can give talks.  There is actually no
longer a good chance that your theoretical graduate student will be able
to talk on
her/her topic because it is judged more appropriate for a poster session.

Given the rather large size of the worm community these days, you are unlikely
to meet your theoretical grad student at the international meeting unless you
know to look for him/her.  Which is one of the reasons for submitting to WBG
every once in a while, so the rest of the community knows what you are doing.
Leslie DeLong
Albert Einstein Col Med
Bronx, NY  10461

Subj:   hi

Hi! Good idea. I guess one problem is that the meeting is supported
by a grant.   So your proposal needs 2x grant support.

I fully subscribe to your once a year idea for Worm Meeting. It would be
great to have it balanced between USA and Europe or Japan.

Michel Labouesse