International meeting

Leon Avery leon at EATWORMS.SWMED.EDU
Fri Mar 24 07:11:43 EST 1995

It's certainly true that the International Meeting is too crowded for
comfort, and that doubling the frequency would reduce the pressure.
It might even delay the day when we have to have concurrent sessions.

My only problem with annual IWMs, actually, is my belief that it would
kill the regional meetings.  I wouldn't go to two worm meetings in a
year -- too much time, and I wouldn't send my lab -- too much money.
I agree with David Baillie that the regional meetings are a lot of
fun.  They're good for new people in the lab, too, since the IWM has
become overwhelming.

Adriana's point: my guess is that the reason no thought was given to
the increased cost of European travel to meetings in Madison compared
to New York or San Francisco is because the organizing committee was
unaware of it.  I didn't know it until a few minutes ago.  I hate the
idea of moving the conference again, but this seems like a good enough
reason.

A question: are there cheap fares for travel from Europe to Chicago?
It's not that hard to get from Chicago to Madison.  If a lot of you
folks from Over The Water wanted to do it, you might even charter a
European Worm Bus.

--
Leon Avery					   (214) 648-2420 (office)
Department of Biochemistry			            -2768 (lab)
5323 Harry Hines Blvd				   leon at eatworms.swmed.edu
Dallas, TX  75235-9038			  http://eatworms.swmed.edu/~leon/