Crossing Tc1 Deletion Mutants

Ron Kagan rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 28 20:45:00 EST 1995

I have obtained a homozygous deletion mutant from the screening of Tc1
insertion worms from the Plasterk transposon insertion library.  I have
crossed these worms twice so far into a him-8 strain to get rid of the
mutator phenotype.  After each cross I have isolated heterozygous F1s
with one copy of the wild type gene and one copy of the deleted gene.  I
was then able to isolate homozygous F2 deletes.

How many times should I outcross my deletion mutant to be confident that
any phenotype that I see is due to my deletion and not some other
insertion or deletion left over from the mutator strain?  Any references
to published papers that report phenotypes of deletion mutants obtained
in this manner would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ron Kagan

"You cannot strengthen one by weakening another; and you cannot
 add to the stature of a dwarf by cutting the leg off a giant."

                                - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Ron Kagan
rkagan at ewald.mbi.ucla.edu