Natural ecology of C. elegans

David R. Shook shook at ibg.colorado.edu
Wed May 10 18:12:55 EST 1995

Does anyone know anything about the *natural* ecology
of C. elegans?  I'm talking about ecology out in the
real world, not on plates, or in culture generally.

The questions I'm particularly interested in have to do with
the sparseness of habitat, and dispersal behaviors.  Basically
I'm wondering how much time worms spend as dauers in the wild,
how frequently and how far they disperse, and how often they
have sex.

Any references to papers or individuals who might know something
about this (and have actually been known to answer their e-mail...)
would be greatly appreciated.  Information on closely related
species would also be helpful.

Thanks very much,
David Shook
(Shook at ibg.colorado.edu)