Reply re: C. elegans, trash, and taxes

dchitwood dchitwoo at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Fri May 19 08:03:44 EST 1995

Dear Paul Kayne:

Sam Donaldson did a piece on using your tax dollars to fund basic
research funded by the National Institute of Mental Health.  It aired on
"Prime Time Live" May 17 at 10:00 EDT.  One of the items focused upon was
the research of Chris Cherniak.  My impression of the piece was that Sam
was making a certain congressman appear shortsighted and that Sam was
supportive of basic research, including that done on "roundworms".  Although
others may have different a different impression, the producer of the
piece certainly impressed upon me his supportive for basic research.

Sam's approach was one of agreeing with the congressman at first,
laughing at studies of nervous systems in roundworms or song patterns of
canaries; but the potential of all of this reserach to cure Alzheimer's
and Parkinson's Diseases, etc., had Sam changing his tune.

I took a keen interest in this segment because the C. elegans footage
used in the piece was videotaped in my lab, as was some of the footage of
Chris Cherniak.

David Chitwood