culture media

Lois Eden L.Eden at tpp.uq.edu.au
Thu Nov 9 00:07:02 EST 1995

In article <wfrice00-0711951746400001 at dialin3.slip.uky.edu>,
wfrice00 at pop.uky.eduÊ says...

>     I am a first year graduate student beginning studies in hatching
of
>C. elegans eggs.  Does anyone have a favorite recipe for a good
culture
>media?  We have found several different nutrient combinations in
texts,
>but I would like to get some input regarding which work the best.
Also,
>does a standard nutrient agar mix contain enough cholesterol to
maintain
>the worms, or must additional sterols be added to the mix?  Any reply
>would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Wayne Rice
>University of Kentucky, Lexington

I have been maintaining a culture since Nov 1990.  I use 1/4 strength
nutrient broth (Difco) with an agar content of 2% (so the nematodes
cannot burrow into the media).  Plates have E.coli lawns on them before
transferring nematodes onto them.  They have to be maintained at 20-23
degrees or they die out (this may vary with the strain of C. elegans
you use).  You should transfer them about once a week to keep high
numbers up.  Transfer time can vary depending on how many nematodes you
transfer.  I transfer by cutting an agar square out of one plate and
putting it onto the next.  I have no idea about sterols etc in standard
nutrient mix but my nematodes are alive and thriving after 5 years, so
it must be OK.

Lois Eden
University of Queensland