culture media

Sasha Kraev kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch
Sat Nov 11 11:08:56 EST 1995

It might be a good idea to put some of this information in the FAQ.  I
guess I should write up a more complete answer (unless someone else
feels like it).

--
Leon Avery                                         (214) 648-2420 (office)
Department of Biochemistry                                  -2768 (lab)
5323 Harry Hines Blvd                              leon at eatworms.swmed.edu
Dallas, TX  75235-9038                    http://eatworms.swmed.edu/~leon/

Leon,
I am also a newcomer to the field, and the protocols from the Cold Spring Harbor
books look somethat peculiar to me, where it concerns the media. I have quite
some experience with many E.coli strains, and we usually grow it on 2XTY with
supplements or on NZY. While OP50 is just another stain, somethat vigorous
compared to many newer ones, I would like to know, is it intended to feed a slow
growing E.coli or a fast growing one to worms? It is no problem to follow to CSH
recipe, but in many other areas, where I have a longer experience, like in
cloning, blotting or sequencing, I have been able to bring many protocols to a
common denominator. After all, there is quite some logic in all these procedures
not just cookbook recipes... A comprehensive FAQ on C.elegans is very good idea.
Cheers,

Alexander Kraev, PhD                     Internet:    kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch