(none)

Leon Avery leon at EATWORMS.SWMED.EDU
Fri Sep 8 19:41:57 EST 1995

________=22Re=3A_electronic_WBG=22_=28Sep__8=2C__1=3A37pm=29?=
To: celegans at net.bio.net
Subject: Re: electronic WBG

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19509081656.ZM23891.swmed.edu

I've had some replies to my question about submission format for an
electronic WBG.  Since I'm hoping for an open discussion and no one
said anything too embarassing (to me, anyway) the replies are appended
below.

Jeff Hardin suggests acrobat.  My problem with acrobat is that it's
only an output format.  (It's basically postcript.)  This means it
can't be searched, edited, or quoted easily.  It only gives you half
the function you want from an electronic WBG.

Curtis Jamison, Thomas Buerglin, and David Baillie all vote for HTML.
Thomas included a long report about HTML-producing programs exhibited
at a tradeshow, where PageMill was apparently a big hit.  Since
PageMill is not much use except to WWW publishers, it's not likely
that the worm community at large is going to buy this.  Thomas's idea
is that someone (probably me) is going to buy PageMill, and that
Ceneca is going to make PageMill capable of importing from
MS-Word--there's no evidence for that that I know of, but it might
happen, and then everyone's going to submit documents as MS-Word
binary files (what about the non-Word users?), and then I'm going to
use PageMill to translate them all.  As far as I can see this comes
down to using MS-Word as the submission format instead of RTF.  It has
all the problems of RTF, but in addition it is much more complicated
and involves software that none of us has ever used, other software
that may not exist, and yet more software that is clearly entirely
hypothetical.

Curtis mentions rtftohtml (which is in fact what I'm using now to
translate RTF to HTML) and the availability of HTML output from
WordPerfect (which, according to Thomas's trade show report, had been
announced but not yet released).  Dave Baillie points out that editing
HTML isn't that hard.  =

WordPerfect would be OK for those who use WordPerfect already, but
MS-Word users (the majority) aren't going to want to buy or use it.
rtftohtml or hand-editing are just too complicated for the average Joe
and Jane.  Look, there are plenty of people who have trouble getting a
PLAIN TEXT submission properly formatted.  They're not stupid--they've
made a very reasonable decision that they have better things to do
with their time than learn how computers work.

It does sound to me like there's a significant minority interested in
HTML submission.  Therefore, effectively immediately, you may submit
WBG abstracts in HTML.  For now, mail them to
wbg-rtf at eatworms.swmed.edu.  Maybe this will become a reasonable
general format when word processors catch up.

-- =

Leon Avery					   (214) 648-2420 (office)
Department of Biochemistry			            -2768 (lab)
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center             -8856 (fax)
5323 Harry Hines Blvd				   leon at eatworms.swmed.edu
Dallas, TX  75235-9038			  http://eatworms.swmed.edu/~leon/