Schedl Lab Post Doc

Jim McCarter mccarter at genetics.wustl.edu
Sun Sep 10 13:45:55 EST 1995

C. elegans Postdoctoral Fellowship

	A postdoctoral position is available in our lab to study cell cycle
regulation and germ/soma interactions affecting the C. elegans oocyte.
We have recently taken a cell biological and genetic approach to
understanding how the oocyte controls its cell cycle for maturation and
how it communicates with the myoepithelial somatic gonad to be expelled
at ovulation.  We have defined the events involved by time lapse
microscopy and isolated a class of mutants which are defective in
ovulation.  Current projects include: isolation of mutants defective in
oocyte cell cycle regulation (maturation), and molecular
characterization of new mutants.  More details available upon request.
The lab has extensive experience in C. elegans germline biology and
genetics.  See:

	Jones and Schedl.  1995.  Mutations in gld-1, a female germ
cell-specific tumor suppressor gene in C. elegans, affect a conserved
domain also found in Src-associated protein Sam68.  Genes and
Development, 9:1491.
	Francis, Barton, Kimble, and Schedl.  1995.  gld-1, a tumor suppressor
gene required for oocyte development in C. elegans.  Genetics, 139:579.
	Francis, Maine, Schedl. 1995.  Analysis of the multiple roles of gld-1
in germline development: interactions with the sex determination cascade
and the glp-1 signaling pathway.  Genetics, 139:607.
	Clifford, Francis, and Schedl.  1994.  Somatic control of germ cell
development in C. elegans.  Seminars in Developmental Biology, 5:21.

	We are looking for an individual with genetic, cell biological, or
molecular training and a strong interest in the cell cycle or cell-cell
communication.  Support can be provided by an existing grant and the
position is available immediately.

	Please send inquiries to:

	Dr. Tim Schedl
	Department of Genetics, Box 8232
	4566 Scott Ave., St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
	office: (314) 362-6162
	Fax: (314) 362-7855
	ts at genetics.wustl.edu