Genomic structure

Keith L. Steward ksteward at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Sat Sep 23 12:24:50 EST 1995

	Our lab works on RNA splicing in C. elegans. Predominantly, worm
introns are small. Usually around 50 nucleotides in length, with a
conserved UUUCAG sequence at the 3' end and a AG/GTRAGT sequence at the
5' splice site. Unlike mammals, elegans introns do not have a consensus
branch point sequence (if your worried about contamination). Most, if
not all, elegans genes have at least 2 introns. Tom Blumenthal and Kieth
Steward did a number of computer searches of the known elegans genes and
compiled a lot of details about things like exon/intron length, base
composition, etc...that will be published in the new addition of the
Cold Spring Harbor Press Book on the worm. So I refer you to that
publication for more detailed information. Good luck.

Scott Kuersten            Voice: (812) 855-0102
Dept. of Biology            Fax: (812) 855-6705
Jordan Hall               Email: skuerst at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Indiana University    http://hyrax.bio.indiana.edu:8080/keithpage.html
Bloomingtion, IN 47405