neuronal promoters

Garth Patterson patterson at frodo.mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 15 14:27:34 EST 1996

I posted to the newsgroup a couple weeks ago, asking for ideas for
promoters that are either pan-neuronal or expressed in subsets of neurons,
especially in the head.  Here is the summary I promised:

From: tharin at cshl.org (Suzanne Tharin at CSHL)
Subject: Re: neuronal promoters
Hi Garth,

My name is Suzanne Tharin and I'm a graduate student in Micheal
Hengartner's lab. I too am interested in getting my hands on a pan-neural
promoter. My  two suggestions to you are unc-119 (Maduro/Pilgrim) and Go
(Plasterk). unc-119 reporter constructs seem to be expressed in about 200
neurons (but ask Morris for details), while Go reporters seem to be active
in all neurons and additionally in a few sex-specific muscle cells (see
Plasterk's Science paper from last spring).