New Worm Shirt?

Glenn E. White gwhite at ASHLAND.EDU
Mon Apr 15 19:03:51 EST 1996

The recent discussion of the quote from Nietzche reminded me of the fact
that several people approached me in Madison last summer and asked about
my worm shirt.

Now, I've only had my two since the 1991 meeting (my first), but there
are many older worm docs who have had them for years.  That rendition, I
believe, had it last run at the 1991 meeting.  This was the dual series
with the lineage up front and the worm on the back, with the Shakespeare
or Nietzche quotes as the options.  I don't remember who designed the
shirt, but I believe she was a member of Horvitz's lab, and a graduate
student.

I guess I'm asking is it time for a new worm shirt?  Is there any interest?

I've got an idea for a new design:  hermaphordite up front, male on the
back with a Top Ten Reasons To Be A Worm Doc underneath.

I haven't thought this out yet, but a few that come to mind, trying to be
humorous without being silly or in incredibly poor taste:

Never tire of that "what the....?" look on people's faces when you tell
them you're a worm doc.

Maybe Dave Barry will visit your lab!

Get somebody else to clone and sequence your DNA!

Watch worms having sex

Worms in space!

I don't have a complete list, but if you're interested in the idea of
developing a new shirt, and have any suggestions for design or additions
to the Top Ten list, send them to me privately.

If there is sufficient interest (>20 people want one), then we can
finalize a design and offer it to the whole list.

Since we're all poor, some more than others, I would estimate an initial
cost of $15 which would include shipping and handling.  We have a good
silk screener in the area and I can get more details on this.

Cheers,

Glenn
gwhite at ashland.edu