Worm Shirts Finalized

Glenn E. White gwhite at ASHLAND.EDU
Tue Apr 23 14:04:44 EST 1996

Howdy:

Well, the ball did really get rolling in a hurry.

Here are two finalized worm shirts

Both shirts:  Hermaphordite w/Caenorhabditis elegans underneath on front,
male worm on back

"Humorous shirt" has:

                   Top Ten Reasons To Be A Worm Doc

10)  Never Tire Of That "What The...?" Look On People's Faces When You
     Tell Them You're A Worm Doc

9)   Get The Genome Project To Clone And Sequence Your Gene

8)   Impress People At Cocktail Parties When They Find Out That Not
     Only Can You Pronounce "Caenorhabditis" But You Can Spell It Too

7)   No Animal Rights Activists Beating Down Your Door When You Blow Up Worms

6)   You Can Microinject Your DNA Into Another Organism

5)   No Need To Pay Those Ridiculous Malpractice Insurance Premiums

4)   You Get To Read The Book Of The Worm, Volumes 1 And 2

3)   You Don't Have To Work On Perverted Organisms Like Dictyostelium

2)   You Can Show People Your Worm And Not Get Arrested

1)   The Power Of Genetics Lets You Play God With Worms

The two people who contributed suggestions to the final top ten will get
their shirts at cost+postage.  I will be in touch.  Also, it would seem that
worm docs have a "vulva fixation" as many suggestions came in concerning
that particular orifice.

"Serious shirt" has the following quote:

"Our field has prospered and has come of age; what was once a joke
organism, often confused with the notorious flatworm of memory transfers,
has now become a major experimental system for the study of development
and developmental genetics.  Its success is a great joy to me, and a
tribute to all those who joined a risky, unconventional research project
and helped to make it what it is today."
                               - Dr. Sydney Brenner

That serious enough for you?

The shirt will be a Fruit of the Loom "BEST" tee, 50/50 cotton/polyester
jersey knit.  The final price per shirt including shipping and handling
(1st class postage) is:  $16.50. Colors available are burgundy, royal
blue, and forest green (all very nice looking).  The colored shirts
are more expensive, hence the slightly higher final cost.  Lettering will
be in white ink (possibly black if it will look okay on these colors).
I'll have to make the decision on the ink color when the order goes in.

1996 WORM SHIRT ORDER FORM

NAME:

SHIPPING ADDRESS:
(AFTER 22 MAY)

SYDNEY BRENNER SHIRT QUANTITY:
SIZE: M, L, XL, XXL (ADD $1.00 FOR XXL)
COLOR:  BURGUNDY, ROYAL BLUE, FOREST GREEN

TOP TEN SHIRT QUANTITY:
SIZE:  M, L, XL, XXL (ADD $1.00 FOR XXL)
COLOR:  BURGUNDY, ROYAL BLUE, FOREST GREEN

AMOUNT DUE ($16.50 x Quantity):

PHONE NUMBER (DAY):

E-MAIL ADDRESS:

RETURN THIS ORDER FORM VIA E-MAIL TO GWHITE at ASHLAND.EDU

CHECKS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 8 MAY TO BE INCLUDED IN THE FIRST RUN.

SEND CHECK, OR US POSTAL MONEY ORDER TO:

Glenn White
401 College Avenue
Ashland, Ohio  44805

SHIRTS SHOULD BE READY BY 23 MAY AND WILL BE MAILED OUT STARTING THAT DAY.

Cheers,

Glenn