Mailing frozen worms

Patrick Phillips phil at omega.uta.edu
Wed Aug 7 10:41:17 EST 1996

Regarding my earlier query about getting worms past the border patrol,
Leon Avery helpfully suggested:

>I used to just enclose them in an envelope and write "biological
>samples, harmless, no commercial value" on the customs slip.

Now I have another question.  Is it possible to mail worms in a frozen
state?  Is dry ice cold enough to keep them intact for overnight
delivery?  Has anyone tried this, or must one use a vat of liquid
nitrogen in the back of a U-Haul like they did when the CGC moved to
Minnesota (obviously not too useful for getting worms from England)?
Thanks in advance.
Patrick C. Phillips               pphillips at uta.edu
Biology Department, Box 19498     http://www.uta.edu/biology/phillips
University of Texas at Arlington  Tel. (817) 272-2409
Arlington, TX 76019 USA           FAX  (817) 272-2855
            Genes in theory, Worms in practice.