Identifying transgenic worms

bill.nuttley at utoronto.ca bill.nuttley at utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 29 09:50:23 EST 1996

I am a new post-doc in Derek van der Kooy's lab in Toronto.  One of my main
goals is to use cosmid rescue to find the genes that are mutated in the
associative learning mutants which have been isolated in the lab.  My
problem is that the standard rol-6 marker for transformants will
interfere with the learning assays.

My first thought is to use GFP as a marker to ID the transgenic worms.
Has anybody been doing this?  Does this allow rapid detection of
transformed animals?

Alternatively, I'm open to suggestions for other markers which do not
impair the worm's ability to move normally.  Any and all suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Bill