ts mutations

Jorgensen Jorgensen at BIOSCIENCE.BIOLOGY.UTAH.EDU
Thu Dec 5 08:56:31 EST 1996

I have been wondering whether it is possible to engineer temperature
sensitive mutations.  I made some of my own guesses about what kind of
mutations would be temperature sensitive but when I talked to protein
chemists, they had different ideas.  I was convinced that no one knew
anything.  But then I found a paper in which the authors performed systematic
mutagenesis of every amino acid in a bacterial protein and there were some
generalities observed.  Basically, they saw that ts mutations typically
substituted a charged residue for a leucine, isoleucine or valine contained
in a hydrophobic stretch.  I wonder whether these general rules are true in
C. elegans.  I would like to look at all the known ts mutations that have
been sequenced in C elegans and let the empirical data guide us.  Phil
Anderson lists the nucleotide changes for many mutations in his chapter in
the protocols book but unfortunately this list doesn't identify the amino
acid changes or whether they are temperature sensitive.  If any of you have
sequenced ts mutations could you please tell me what the change was and
whether it is in a hydrophillic or hydrophobic domain.

Thanks
Erik Jorgensen