acedb on a Mac

BJ Allan allanb at sfu.ca
Wed Dec 11 17:14:42 EST 1996

In article <32A5AF8D.72C8 at LIFE.UAMS.EDU>, RJREIS at LIFE.UAMS.EDU ("Robert J.
S. Reis") wrote:
> We are looking into buying a power Mac primarily for the purpose
> of running acedb locally.  What is the minimum configuration that will
> run acedb adequately?  Any tips / hazards we should know about?

Your primary concern will be enough memory. A minimum of24Mb (and
preferably 32Mb) of RAM is necessary. Otherwise, you end up using virtual
memory and it SLOOOOWS down. With the continuing increase in the size of
the database you will also need a good size hard disk. We use an external
heard disk for MacACe as our Mac is also used for other purposes (eg. we
have it hooked up to a Normarski scope for image capture).

*Robert (BJ) Allan                              "The Few; The Proud;*
*Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry   The Worm People."*
*Simon Fraser University                                 -D. Barry  *