Nematode ESTs: Brugia EST Dataset reaches 5000+, over one quarter of all genes identified

Mark Blaxter mark.blaxter at ed.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 11:07:38 EST 1996

Dear Elegansologists

I thought I would bring to your attention the Brugia malayi EST dataset.
Brugia malayi is a parasitic nematode which causes elephantiasis in humans
(see http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/mbx/fgn/filgen.html for more information on
the Filarial Genome Project and on filarial nematodes).

The Brugia malayi EST dataset has now reached 5,696 submitted sequences.
All of these are available in dbEST, the database of expressed sequence
tags maintained by NCBI.

Our estimate of the number of distinct genes in the 5696 ESTs is in the
region of 3,700 (by clustering the ESTs by sequence identity). As we expect
Brugia to have between 13,000 and 15,000 genes (ie the same gene count as
Caenorhabditis elegans) we have identified around one quarter of all the
genes of Brugia. The Brugia ESTs contain the closest homologues of many
(often otherwise anonymous) C. elegans genes.

The ESTs derive from six different lifecycle stages:
        microfilariae (L1)    834
        L3 (infective stage) 1909
        L4                    483
        adult male           1216
        adult female         1254
        total                5697

HOW TO ACCESS THE ESTs

through the Parasite-Genome Blast Server page
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/parasites/parasite_blast_server.html

through dbEST
http://www2.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/dbST/dbest_query.html

through the NCBI Genbank system
all the ests are available through the BLAST email server at NCBI, and
through ENTREZ.

The cDNA clones and all the cDNA libraries used in the EST project are
available through the Filarial Genome Center: see
http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/mbx/fgn/net/librarylist.html

This total has been achieved through the efforts of the WHO-sponsored
Genome Project (Williams lab, Northampton, USA; Slatko lab, NEB, USA;
Jayaraman lab, Madras, India; Scott lab, Baltimore, USA; Ramzy lab, Cairo,
Egypt and Egwang lab, Kampala, Uganda) and the MRC-sponsored effort in
Edinburgh (Blaxter lab, Edinburgh, and the Sanger Centre, Cambridge) with
contributions from other researchers.

Please pass this message on to interested colleagues

Mark Blaxter

Filarial Genome Project Secretary

Dr. Mark Blaxter   email  Mark.Blaxter at ed.ac.uk
Institute of Cell, Animal and Population Biology
Ashworth Laboratories, King's Buildings
University of Edinburgh,  West Mains Road
EDINBURGH  EH9 3JT,  United Kingdom
phone: (+44) 131 650 6760  Fax :...650 5450
see  http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/mbx/fgn/blaxter/blaxlab.html