C elegans e-print archive?

Leon Avery leon at EATWORMS.SWMED.EDU
Sat Feb 3 11:57:08 EST 1996

I am writing to gauge interest in a e-print archive for C elegans
papers.

An e-print archive is a server on which preprints of scientific papers
are made available in electronic form.  The prototypical e-print
archive is the physics e-print archive at Los Alamos run by Paul
Ginsparg (http://xxx.lanl.gov/).

It would work like this.  When you write a paper, you would send a
copy to the e-print archive.  The paper would be in Microsoft Word
format (either for Mac or Windows), and figures could be included as
Postscript or GIF or JPG and perhaps PICT files. The paper would
rapidly (usually within a day) become available on the Internet.  You
could also include supplemental information that could not be included
in the paper proper because of length limitations of the journal in
which it was eventually to be published.  As with the WBG, there would
be no review process--anything you send will be published on the WWW.

I might be willing to administer this, at least for a reasonable trial
period (a year, say), if it appears likely that it would be useful.

I don't need opinions on whether such a resource would be useful to
readers.  The answer is obviously yes.  I do need to know whether you
would submit your papers to the e-print archive.  Specifically, I
would like something like a commitment that if such an e-print archive
was established and well-run, you would for at least a year submit
your papers to the archive.  The timing of submission would be up to
you, but for the archive to be most useful papers should be submitted
within a few days after you learn that your paper has been accepted
for publication in a regular journal.  Earlier submissions would be
welcome but not expected.

I need answers especially from Principal Investigators.  If the
Principal Investigator in your lab doesn't regularly read
bionet.celegans, could you bring this note to his or her attention?

--
Leon Avery                                       (214) 648-2420 (office)
Department of Biochemistry                                -2768 (lab)
5323 Harry Hines Blvd                         leon.avery at email.swmed.edu
Dallas, TX  75235-9038                  http://eatworms.swmed.edu/~leon/