C elegans e-print archive?

Leon Avery leon at EATWORMS.SWMED.EDU
Sun Feb 4 08:45:47 EST 1996

In article <4f1h79$2a2 at nntp3.u.washington.edu>, you write:
|> leon at EATWORMS.SWMED.EDU ("Leon Avery") writes:
|>
|> > ...  for the archive to be most useful papers should be submitted
|> >*** within a few days after you learn that your paper has been accepted
|> >for publication in a regular journal.***  Earlier submissions would be
|> >welcome but not expected.
|>
|> Might this raise the ire of journal editors, in that the article would be
|> published electronically long before it got into print? Some of them are
|> pretty persnickety about what gets released prior to publication, and I'd
|> want assurance from the editor that it's OK. Otherwise no problem.

This is one of a general class of questions -- do what extent does an
e-print archive get into trouble with the regular journals for
publishing electronically what they publish on paper?  In addition to
your concern, there's the copyright issue: journals require you to
sign over copyright to them -- are you violating their copyright by
publishing your paper on the Net?

The physics e-print archive shows that these issues can be resolved.
It appears that the physics journals don't mind the e-print archive
(yet).  If a C elegans e-print archive ever moves closer to reality, I
will look into this.  In addition to checking how the physicists work
it out, I was planning to write directly to the editors of the top ten
journals in the CGC Bibliography and ask them if they would permit
electronic distribution.  If most of them say "No way", it would of
course kill the plan.

--
Leon Avery                                       (214) 648-2420 (office)
Department of Biochemistry                                -2768 (lab)
5323 Harry Hines Blvd                         leon.avery at email.swmed.edu
Dallas, TX  75235-9038                  http://eatworms.swmed.edu/~leon/