Postdoc opening, Brandeis University

piali at volen.ccs.brandeis.edu piali at volen.ccs.brandeis.edu
Sun Jul 21 17:23:23 EST 1996

Postdoctoral position available

	A postdoctoral position is available in my lab at Brandeis University.  We
are using molecular and genetic tools to examine the development and
function of chemosensory neurons in C. elegans.  We have identified a gene
odr-7,  that is required for the sensory specification of a single type of
olfactory neuron in the worm.  We have also identified an olfactory receptor
required for the response to a single odorant (see Cell 79, pp 971-980 and
Cell 84, pp 899-909).

	Current research projects include:
1)  Identification of genes interacting with odr-7, using both genetic and
biochemical approaches.
2)  Characterization of odr-7 function by defining targets of regulation.
3)  Identification of additional odr-7-like genes and investigation of their
functions.
4)  Isolation and characterization of genes required for the sensory
specification of other chemosensory neurons in the worm.

	The Department of Biology (including programs in Molecular and Cell
Biology and Neuroscience) is friendly and interactive.  We participate
extensively in Departmental journal clubs and seminar series.  The lab also
maintains interactions with other C. elegans researchers in the greater Boston
area.  Brandeis is located approximately 10 miles west of Cambridge and
Boston.

	This position is available immediately.  Funding from an NIH training grant
is guaranteed for at least one year.  Please contact:

Piali Sengupta
Department of Biology
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA 02254