examples of training

Joseph Strout jstrout at ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 22 13:24:45 EST 1996

I understand that C. elegans exhibits simple forms of learning, but I
haven't seen any details.  Could someone please tell me if the following
would be possible:

Two groups of genetically identical nematodes are raised under different
conditions.  For one group, a bright light at one end of the habitat is
associated with food, and the worms learn to wriggle towards the light.
For the other group, the light is always paired with a noxious chemical,
and the worms learn to wriggle away.

I realize that nematodes don't have eyes, but I've read that they can
respond to light.  Would the above demonstration work?  If not, could you
suggest something more realistic?  I'm looking for a clear demonstation of
learning that laypeople could understand.

Many thanks,
Joe Strout

|    Joseph J. Strout           Department of Neuroscience, UCSD   |
|    jstrout at ucsd.edu           http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/~jstrout/  |