help with a biochemistry lab

Cornelius Krasel krasel at
Mon Jun 10 13:09:31 EST 1996

Bruce Wightman (wightman at wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could provide suggestions for good proteins to
> partially purify/purify for an introductory biochemistry lab for
> undergraduates.

Maybe GST would work. It's a single-step purification from bacteria which
can be done easily in two days, yielding milligrams of pure protein from one
liter of bacterial culture. If you prepare it at room temperature, yields
will probably drop slightly, but who cares. Affinity is assayed photo-
metrically with Dichloronitrobenzol plus Glutathione.

Just a suggestion,

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: phak004 at  SP3 */