help with a biochemistry lab

John Kuszewski johnk at spork.niddk.nih.gov
Mon Jun 10 14:48:36 EST 1996

Johns Hopkins uses hen egg white lysozyme for its intro biochem
lab.  Easy to make a whole bunch of it, obvious where it comes
from, and easy to assay in a biologically meaningful (as well
as very cool) way--by looking at the turbidity of a
solution of bacteria that have been fed to the lysozyme, you
can watch them get eaten over time.

All in all a great choice for an intro lab.

Hope this helps.

--JK

--
                                   _____________
                                   |        ___/_
                                   |        |/  /
                                   --  /\  //  /--
John Kuszewski                     ||  |/  /|  ||
johnk at spasm.niddk.nih.gov          ||  /  /||  ||
that's MISTER protein G to you!     |/__/|      |

My parents went to Zaire and all I got
was this lousy retrovirus.