Position Available in Edinburgh on C. elegans....

Mark Blaxter mark.blaxter at ed.ac.uk
Wed Mar 6 12:06:28 EST 1996

                     NEMATODE TYROSINASES:
     2 year Research position funded by the Leverhulme Trust
                   available from April 1996
             with Mark Blaxter, Nematode Genetics,
        Institute of Cell, Animal and Population Biology,
                  University of Edinburgh

Nematodes are extremely successful both as members of freeliving ecosystems
and as parasites. One of the determinants of this success is their ability
to make resistant biopolymers such as the eggshell and cuticle. We have
isolated and characterised two genes from Caenorhabditis elegans which
encode enzymes which we believe are involved in crosslinking cuticles and

We are examining these genes by molecular and classical genetics in C.
elegans and by isolation of homologues from plant and animal parasitic
species. We are looking for a motivated graduate research assistant to
prove the function of these genes in C. elegans and look at their evolution
in different species. The position would suit someone with molecular
biology experience (not necessarily in nematodes) who is interested in
molecular evolution and the biology of these fascinating and important

The Blaxter lab in Edinburgh has interests in C. elegans genetics and
cuticle surface biology, comparative genome analysis between nematodes and
the evolutionary history of nematodes. ICAPB is a well-funded institute
with other nematode biology and genetics labs, and is located in Scotland's
festival city.

Please phone or email Mark Blaxter to ask for more information NOW.

posted 6/3/1996

Dr. Mark Blaxter   email  Mark.Blaxter at ed.ac.uk
Institute of Cell, Animal and Population Biology
Ashworth Laboratories, King's Buildings
University of Edinburgh,  West Mains Road
EDINBURGH  EH9 3JT,  United Kingdom
phone: (+44) 131 650 6760  Fax :...650 5450