Worm Shirts/Last Call

Glenn E. White gwhite at ASHLAND.EDU
Thu May 9 14:33:08 EST 1996

Howdy to all:

Well, so far, 35+ worm shirts have been ordered with the Top Ten format
being by far and away the most popular.

But, that's okay, the Sydney Brenner quote will still get printed.

I have payment from about half of you who have ordered.

THE PLAN IS TO ORDER THE SHIRTS THIS MONDAY, 13 MAY.  IF YOU WANT TO BE
INCLUDED IN THE ORIGINAL RUN, I NEED TO HAVE YOUR ORDER FORM AND CHECK BY
THEN!

There will probably be a second offering after the regional meetings, but
I am not guaranteeing that (I actually have to do some research this
summer so I can have something to talk about at next year's meeting in
Madison).  The shirts are 100% cotton by Russell Athletic.  They are
full cut, heavy shirts.  Everyone should be pleased.

Here are two finalized worm shirts

Both shirts:  Hermaphordite w/Caenorhabditis elegans underneath on front,
male worm on back

"Humorous shirt" has:

                   Top Ten Reasons To Be A Worm Doc

10)  Never Tire Of That "What The...?" Look On People's Faces When You
     Tell Them You're A Worm Doc

9)   Impress People At Cocktail Parties When They Find Out That Not
     Only Can You Pronounce "Caenorhabditis" But You Can Spell It Too

8)   No Animal Rights Activists Beating Down Your Door When You Blow Up Worms

7)   You Can Microinject Your DNA Into Another Organism

6)   No Need To Pay Those Ridiculous Malpractice Insurance Premiums

5)   You Get To Read The Book Of The Worm, Volumes 1 And 2

4)   You Don't Have To Work On Perverted Organisms Like Dictyostelium

3)   You Can Show People Your Worm And Not Get Arrested

2)   The Power Of Genetics Lets You Play God With Worms

1)   The Money And The Hermaphordites!

"Serious shirt" has the following quote:

"Our field has prospered and has come of age; what was once a joke
organism, often confused with the notorious flatworm of memory transfers,
has now become a major experimental system for the study of development
and developmental genetics.  Its success is a great joy to me, and a
tribute to all those who joined a risky, unconventional research project
and helped to make it what it is today."
                               - Sydney Brenner

The cost per shirt, including shipping and handling, is:  $16.50
Colors available are burgundy, royal blue, and forest green (all very
nice looking).  The colored shirts are more expensive, hence the
slightly higher final cost.  Lettering will be in white ink (possibly
black if it will look okay on these colors). I'll have to make the
decision on the ink color when the order goes in.

As indicated earlier, shirts will be 100% cotton, heavy weight, full cut,
Russell Athletic tees.

1996 WORM SHIRT ORDER FORM

NAME:

SHIPPING ADDRESS:
(AFTER 22 MAY)

SYDNEY BRENNER SHIRT QUANTITY:
SIZE: M, L, XL, XXL (ADD $1.00 FOR XXL)
COLOR:  BURGUNDY, ROYAL BLUE, FOREST GREEN

TOP TEN SHIRT QUANTITY:
SIZE:  M, L, XL, XXL (ADD $1.00 FOR XXL)
COLOR:  BURGUNDY, ROYAL BLUE, FOREST GREEN

AMOUNT DUE ($16.50 x Quantity):

PHONE NUMBER (DAY):

E-MAIL ADDRESS:

RETURN THIS ORDER FORM VIA E-MAIL TO GWHITE at ASHLAND.EDU

CHECKS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 13 MAY TO BE INCLUDED IN THE FIRST RUN.

SEND CHECK, OR US POSTAL MONEY ORDER TO:

Glenn White
401 College Avenue
Ashland, Ohio  44805

SHIRTS SHOULD BE READY BY 23 MAY AND WILL BE MAILED OUT STARTING THAT DAY.

Cheers,

Glenn