Needle puller update

Piali Sengupta piali at VOLEN.CCS.BRANDEIS.EDU
Tue Nov 12 10:13:25 EST 1996

Thanks to all of you who responded to my SOS regarding needle pullers. Some
people also expressed interest in the answers that I got, so I am posting
some of these here.

Happy injecting!

>Via Curtis Loer:

>From Jonathan Freedman:

>  I have been using a Narishige pipet puller (PB-7 or the new PC-10, which is
>a PB-7 with digital voltage readouts).  You can still get new PB-7s for about
>2,800, but they are discontinued so supplies are limited.  The PC-10 lists for
>$3,400.  I have found that all vendors list Narishige products for the same
>amount but give different discounts.  The best I ever got was 10%.
>
>    These pipet pullers are simple to use and give good needles for worm
>injections.  I have found that the Sutter pipet pullers make great needles,
>but
>they can have seven different adjustments and are too complicated for worm
>needles.  The Narishige puller has one adjustment, after you set the weight.

from Leon Avery
>We have a Kopf that we used for pulling injection pipets until we got
>our P-87.  The Kopf is fine as long as you don't want to pull a lot of
>different types of pipets reproducibly.

>From Bill Morgan
I've been using the pre-pulled microinjection tips sold by
WPI (World Precision Instruments, #TIP05TW1F).  In the long run, they are
obviously much more expensive than pulling your own, but if you're not
using too many and you want to avoid spending a lot on a needle puller, I
might suggest giving some a try.  The major benefits (besides not needing a
needle puller) are their consistency and suitability for microinjecting
worms.

>From Geraldine Seydoux
In the Fire lab we used a Kopf model which runs around $3600. Mike Krause
also told me about a Narishige model (Pipette Puller PB-7) which goes for
$2295. He is very happy with it- I have not tried yet.

>From Ann Sluder
I have a Kopf vertical needle puller that is easy to use and with which
we've been very happy, but I don't know if it qualifies as "cheap".  I have
the middle model - the 730 - which went for about $4500.  I think this
model is overkill, and their lower model - the 720 - should work just fine.
But I believe the 720 runs about $3500.  If you want to check into this
further (current prices, other models, etc.), the phone number for Kopf is
818-352-3274.

>from Ed Kipreos
I bought the lowest cost Sutter pipet puller, the model P-30, for $2995
this past year. I found that it is better than the low cost Knopf model
that I had used as a postdoc. The main difference between the two models is
that the Sutter P-30 has an easy to use trip point micrometer which allows
you to accurately and quickly set the length of the slow pull (before the
hard pull). The needles made by the P-30 are of the same quality and
diameters (down to 0.3 microns) as the Knopf models - great for
microinjection.

>From Ikue Mori
The model number of our needle puller is PB-7 (Narishige). I don't know if
they still
sell this, but even if so they should have the equivalent.