Help! OP50 problems!!!

Megan Tolbert mtolbert at unixg.ubc.ca
Wed Nov 27 17:24:05 EST 1996

Hi there--

We're having a small problem in our lab,(Dr. Cathy Rankin at UBC) and
hoping someone out there can help us.   We study learning and memory in
the worm, and we have very sensitive behavioural assays.  Our problem is
this:  Our e. coli OP50 does not grow in a uniform monolayer, rather,
there seem to be little 'dots" that we think are new mutated colonies.
We have reviewed all of our procedures in dealing with the OP50, and we
can't see a problem.  We have also received new OP50 from many other
labs which eventually ends up in the same state. Because our behavioural
assays are so sensitive, we need clean OP50 which we are sure isn't
making our worms sluggish or sick.  Is this possible--any suggestions?

Rankin Lab

(if we get several suggestions, we'll post a summary.....)