teaching workshop at 1997 C. elegans Meeting?

JIM LISSEMORE JLISSEMORE at JCVAXA.JCU.EDU
Wed Oct 9 15:53:11 EST 1996

C. elegans Meeting, I am taking the first steps to organize
a workshop on teaching and related matters at the 1997
Meeting.  John White (one of the organizers of the 1997
meeting) recently told me that it sounds like a good idea to
him.  However, the organizers had not yet set the schedule
so I did not ask him to commit to a time slot.  In the
meantime, John gave me the go-ahead to solicit ideas for a
teaching workshop so I have a few questions for those of you
who may be interested in teaching:

1)  Would anyone like to be a co-organizer of a teaching
workshop?  I don't have a good idea of how much work this
will take, but I don't anticipate it being a huge
undertaking.

2)  What are your suggestions for topics to discuss at such
a workshop?  Some suggestions that have already been made
are:
--the use of C. elegans in lab or lecture courses.
--life in predominantly undergraduate institutions (PUI).
--strategies for finding a position at a PUI.
--how to find teaching resources (e.g. journals, web sites,
meetings).

3) What are your suggestions for the format for the
workshop, e.g. panel discussion, series of speakers?

Thanks in advance for your input.

--Jim

Jim Lissemore
Biology Department