early embryonic lineage consensus

Michel Labouesse lmichel at titus.u-strasbg.fr
Mon Oct 28 03:34:41 EST 1996

Dear Netters,

It's been some time that I have been puzzled by differences in the worm
litterature concerning the presentation of the orientation of the early
cell divisions. Recently, a student came to me after one my lectures and
told me  "You had told us that the germline founder cells are always
posterior and here is this paper in which P3 is anterior".
Indeed, many of the actors in the field of early embryogenesis and most
textbooks or reviews present the early lineage tree with P cells always
posterior. However, more and more articles present it differently, with P3/
P4 anterior and C/D posterior.
Is the orientation of these cleavages variable?
How should we teach this to our students and what should we answer to their
legitimate questions?

Disoriented regards,

Michel Labouesse

Michel Labouesse
IGBMC
CNRS/ INSERM/ ULP
BP 163
67404 Illkirch Cedex
C.U. de Strasbourg - France
Tel: (33) 88 65 33 93 (office). After October 18 1996, dial (33) 3 88 65 33 93
     (33) 88 65 33 91 (lab). After October 18 1996, dial (33) 3 88 65 33 91
Fax: (33) 88 65 32 01. After October 18 1996, dial (33) 3 88 65 32 01
e-mail: lmichel at igbmc.u-strasbg.fr