unc-22 nicotine test

Diana Janke collinse at sfu.ca
Fri Aug 22 12:07:32 EST 1997

Renaud Legouis <rlegouis at igbmc.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

>Hi,

>HELP !

>Can anybody tell me how to perform the 1% nicotine test for unc-22
>heterozygotes? What is the type and source for nicotine?

>Thanks

>	Renaud

Renaud,
Here is the protocol for picking worms in nicotine as mentioned
in Moerman and Baillie 1979 (Genetics 91:95-103):

First, you want to use the 'free-base' version on nicotine- not the
salt.  The "free-base" is a liquid which can be diluted to 1% with
distilled water.

If you are just screening a few worms, what we generally do is
move the worms you want to screen to the edge of a 60mm petri-
plate (a bacteria-free area) and put a small drop of 1% nicotine
on the worms. If you are screening a whole plate, flood the plate with
about 1ml of the nicotine solution.  Wait a minute or so to give the
nicotine a chance to act, then screen the plate for "twitchers" under a
dissecting microscope set to 12-25 power.  The most noticable
twitching motion is in the head and tail.  All ages of worms
will twitch, but very gravid hermaphrodites don't twitch as well.
Wild-type worms become rigid in 1% nicotine. Pick the twitchers out of
the nicotine solution and move them to a clean, nicotine free plate
using a worm pick.  Try to do this as soon as possible as the worms are
not very happy in nicotine.

Please be warned that nicotine is a harmful substance to humans
as well.  Read up on the safety information before using it and
avoid sking contact and inhalation.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Diana Janke