microinjection info

Tritech Research Tritech_Research at lamg.com
Tue Aug 26 03:11:56 EST 1997

I'm setting up a microinjection system here, and have come across an
Eppendorf 5170 micromanipulator sitting boxed on a shelf. Does anyone have
any experience with such a machine? Should I stick with a simpler manual
device? Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks,
J.

Jonathan EWBANK
Centre d'Immunologie de Marseille-Luminy
Case 906-13288 Marseille Cedex 9
FRANCE
e-mail: ewbank at ciml.univ-mrs.fr
tel:  33.4.91.26.94.66
fax: 33.4.91.26.94.30
------------------
Dear Jonathan,
I don't have any advice about that unit, but if it is free, it can't be all
bad!
Here is some general advice, though.  If your inverted microscope has what
is called a "glide stage", where the stage glides on a layer of grease, you
can
use a very simple micrmanipulator, and use it to position the needle, then
do the injection by sliding the worm toward the needle.  This is the simplest
and best method.  If you have a standard x-y stage, you might consider
replacing it with a glide stage.  Otherwise, you can use an x-y stage to
position the worm, and use a good quality micromanipulator.  One advantage
of the mechanical type over the electronic type is that you can tap it to get
a lot of acceleration and pierce the cuticle more easily.

In case you need them, my company has a few inexpensive things which I
can recommend, and supply.  We sell the microINJECTOR that most of the
worm labs use.  It is a device that hooks up to a nitrogen tank or air line
and lets you set the injection pressure, then there is an electronic
valve, controlled by a foot pedal, to keep your hands free, that controls
the injection from 0.1 seconds to as long as you like.  The base model is
$425.  The Pulse-length Control Module (PCM)(optional)is $75.

For the CE-marked Euro version, there is an extra $25 charge, and
the PCM is required.  We also have a brass straight-arm needle holder
for $50, and we can supply a Narishige mechanical joy-stick-type
micromanipulator for under $1500.  We can also supply anything
from the Narishige line, including needle pullers, and anything from
the Leica microscope line, including a complete inverted scope with
a glide stage, DIC optics and fluorescence for GFP, etc., at some discount.

If you would like a catalog, or have any questions, please e-mail or call.

Best regards,

Andy Papp

tritech_research at LAMG.COM
New Address and Telephone: