OP50 follow up

David Baillie baillie at sfu.ca
Thu Aug 28 11:43:56 EST 1997

Creg Darby wrote:

> Point mutations in the chromosomal rpsL
> gene in E. coli give high levels of resistance, with no other annoying
> phenotypes, and they're trivial to make: Plate an overnight culture on 100
> micrograms/ml of Strep and pick colonies for purification the next day.
>
> The advantage of this marker is that it's chromosomal, hence very stable:
> You needn't propagate the strain on Strep to preserve the marker.

I agree, strep resistance is easy to get.... but I think most strains
that
carry this resistance are a bit sick.  That is they grow slower and give
thinner
lawns than none Srep resistant OP50.  The difference isn't much, but it
is
detectable if you use over night growth of your streaked plates at 20C
like
we do.

Dave

D. L. Baillie