Long-template PCR

Wendy S. Katz wkatz at POP.UKY.EDU
Wed Jun 11 17:44:30 EST 1997

Has anyone used the Boehringer Mannheim "Expand Long Template" kit with a
thermal cycler other than the fancy Perkin Elmer job for which their
protocols are optimized?  I have a Thermolyne Amplitron II and use
thin-walled 0.5 ml tubes. My cycler transits between temperatures fairly
rapidly, so I find the 10 sec. denaturation time in the Boehringer protocol
particularly troubling.   I'm interested to hear whether the protocol had
to be modified extensively to work reliably in other machines (I'm going
after a 10kb product).

Thanks,
Wendy Katz