Faculty Job

Siegfried Hekimi hekimi at bio1.lan.mcgill.ca
Mon Oct 20 14:40:00 EST 1997

Faculty position

McGill University, Biology Department, Montreal, Canada

There is a search started here in the field of developmental
and cell biology working on a genetically accessible model system.
Within the department of biology we have a model system floor
currently consisting of 3 Drosophila labs, 2.5 Arabidosis labs,
1 yeast lab and 1 worm lab.  We are now particularly interested
in finding an additional worm or yeast person.  I strongly encourage
suitable worm candidates to apply.  The department of Biology here
is a great place to work. People have been very successful in
setting up labs and obtaining grants.  My own lab currently
includes twelve people and is in the process of expanding
substantially, so any starting worm person will find it easy
to set up and get going.  Unless you really don't like snow,
life in Montreal is very nice including and in particular if
you have children.  Indeed, Montreal is both very safe and
inexpensive to live in.  But Montreal is also a large cosmopolitan
city with all the fun that implies.  Interested candidates can
email me or call me if they want for more information before
applying to the Chairman.  Please find below the official ad
which will appear in the journals

Siegfried Hekimi
Associate Professor
Tel: (514) 398-6440
email: hekimi at notung.biol.mcgill.ca

Molecular Geneticist/Developmental Biologist.
Department of Biology, McGill University

The Department of Biology at McGill University invites applications for
a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level. Preference
will
be given to candidates whose research addresses fundamental problems in
cell and developmental biology using a genetically well characterized
system.

The successful applicant will join a large and dynamic department with
research strengths in cellular, molecular and developmental biology,
ecology, and neurobiology, with extensive affiliations with the Faculty
of Medicine and local research institutes. Applicants should hold the
Ph.D.
degree in biological sciences and have demonstrated research proficiency

through postdoctoral training. Duties will involve the development of a
vigorous research program and teaching at the undergraduate and graduate

level. The expected start date is July 1, 1998. The deadline for
applications is December 15, 1997, but applications will continue to be
considered until the position is filled. Applications, including a
curriculum vitae, a statement of research interests, and three letters
of reference should be sent to Dr. Donald L. Kramer, Chair, Department
of
Biology, McGill University, 1205 Docteur Penfield Avenue, Montreal,
Quebec H3A 1B1, Canada. E-mail: don_kramer at maclan.mcgill.ca.