Chitin in nematode eggshells

Rudi Segers rudi.segers at agr.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Sep 4 11:37:48 EST 1997

Chitin is a structural component of the eggshells of plantparasitic and other nematodes.
As we are working with chitinolytic enzymes from nematode-attacking fungi that
parasitize nematode eggs, we have an obvious interest in the chitin content of those
eggs. Chitin can occur in several polymorphic forms, i.e. the tightly compacted
alpha-chitin, a looser beta form and an intermediate gamma form. These forms differ in
hardness and have different biological functions. The question is: in which form does
chitin occur in nematode eggshells, or is this issue as yet unresolved?

Please mail reply to rudi.segers at agr.kuleuven.ac.be