summary of automated sequencing responses

Jim Lissemore jlissemore at
Tue Dec 15 21:37:35 EST 1998

I have included below a summary of responses to my request
for information about automated sequencing costs.  Many
thanks to all who responded!

Jim Lissemore
Assistant Professor
Biology Dept.
John Carroll University
20700 N. Park Blvd.
University Heights, OH 44118
EMAIL: jlissemore at
PHONE: 216-397-4196
FAX: 216-397-4482

        Ahna Renee Skop <arskop at>

        At the UW Biotech Facility it cost about $6 a run,
$2 for a column,
and $3.50 for seq rxn.

If you run the rxn yourself it is $6 a run...Look on the web
page below
Get rid of unincorporated fluorescent nts using a G50
Autoseq (Pharmacia)
Precip the DNA, you get a pellet and you hand them the
pellet and they post
the sequence on the web.

the web site is

You should email them about outside accounts. I think that
they do them

charles_nicolet at
This guy heads up the sequencing stuff....

        Jenny Watts <jwatts at>

We pay $12 per reaction at our facility at Washington State
I called our sequencing guy.  He says he will sequence for
people outside
the university, however he gives priority to people from
here, so it might
take a little longer.

        Anne Hart <hart at>

Jim- At MGH we pay 20$ per reaction at the MGH core
sequencing facility for
400-600nt (supply your own primers.) The price may be
artificially low due
to funding from grants supporting core facilties as
researchers outside MGH
have to pay 35$ per reaction.

             Barth Grant <grant at>
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons

Columbia charges $20 per run for DNA sequencing.

        "David H. A. Fitch" <df3 at>

I run our departmental core facility, and I'd say $30 is way
We prefer it if people do their own sequencing reactions and
we just load
the samples on our ABI 377--that's saves labor and time, and
facilities should allow this option.  However, we do run a
full service
option, and the price can still be as low as $16 per
template.  We only
sequence for our department, though, not for outsiders.  NYU
medical school
has a more commercial facility, but they charge $25 per
template.  I think
the price schedule mainly depends on what the personnel
In case you're curious, we just put up a site for our

        Susan Mango <susan_mango at>

$10 a run (i.e. pcr reaction and gel).

             patterson at (Garth Patterson)

At the facility here at Rutgers/UMDNJ, we pay $20 per
sequencing run.  As
a nice bonus, we pay nothing if the sequencing run fails for
any reason.

        Leon Avery <leon at>

We pay $25 / run, and routinely get about 700 readable

             Michael Herman <mherman at> Kansas State

We have been using the Ohio State Biopolymer Facility for
our DNA
sequencing.  They charge $18.75 per reaction and we
generally get at
least 500 bp of good sequence.  The email the results along
with a PDF
file of the automated sequencer output showing the peaks
which can be
quite useful.  In general we have been happy with the manner
in which
they deal with reactions that do not produce data etc.  You
can find
more info at:

        "R. John Lye" <rjl6n at>

Our core facility here charges $24 per sequencing run (they
supply common primers in that price).

        dna at unsw.EDU.AU (Alan Wilton)

At current exchange rates you could get it done in Australia
for $US10 if
you have a large number to do.

Do a web search for AGRF at Queensland University in

        David Greenstein
<David.Greenstein at>

I saw your question about sequencing fees. We pay $10 per
template for "gel
only" service at our core (Vanderbilt University Cancer
Center).  We do the
reactions ourselves using the Perkin-Elmer Big-Dye kit.  Our
cost is
$2.50-$7.50 for doing the reactions depending on how much
reagent is
used or whether commercially available spin columns are used
to remove un-
incorporated dye.  This estimate does not include
oligonucleotide primer
synthesis. Hope this helps!

        Glenis Wiebe <gwiebe at>

Our company offers DNA sequencing for $35 (Canadian) per
Samples are run on an ABI 377XL (48cm read), from which we
typically get
600-800 bases of good sequence (depending on the quality of
template).  Results are posted to an FTP site, usually
within 2-3 days
from the time the sample arrives.  For more information on
our services,
please see our web-site at