Response to Informal Grad survey

Curtis Loer cloer at acusd.edu
Sat Mar 28 15:14:17 EST 1998

Thanks to all of you who responded to my recent query on grad programs
(n=19). It was by far the largest response I've had to any worm newsgroup
question I've posted.  There are wide variations in what different programs
do, so a summary is hard to make. Nevertheless, most responses are from
highly selective programs, where time to PhD is 5-7 yrs, stipends are
$14,500-$17,500 and all have 2-4 rotations and some core coursework mostly
in the first year. I had few responses from less selective programs and so
those are difficult to summarize.

I have learned from one student of a wonderful web site funded by the Sloan
Foundation called "Phds.Org" - http://www.phds.org - that has a wealth of
information about graduate programs and careers in science, academic and
otherwise. You can even rank a long list of priorities on a form, submit
and instantly receive a list of programs that rank highly by your own
criteria. I tried it out out of curiousity and amazingly enough got back my
PhD institute as no. 1 and my Postdoc institute as no. 2!

Curtis M. Loer
Dept. of Biology
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA 92110
619-260-4129 (leave voice messages here)
LAB:260-5925
FAX:260-6804
cloer at acusd.edu
http://www.acusd.edu/~cloer/